There’s nothing like a cold chisel, a hammer and some unattractive tile for relieving one’s frustrations.
Today, after a trip to (gasp) Ikea to make sure my online sink choice and countertop selections were good (I’ve now definitely settled on the Domsjo single-bowl sink and am still vacillating on the Numerar countertop in beech), I decided it was time for a little destruction. Fun!
Starting by the back door (where I don’t walk much on a daily basis) seemed like a good idea, because today I wanted only to pull up a small area of tile to find out what’s under it, and to determine the likelihood of saving the wood floor. If I can’t salvage the 120-year-old pine, I’ll have to budget for new flooring…and that will determine how much I can spend on the countertop.
So I broke up just enough tile to expose a discrete piece of hardboard, then pried it up:
I got lucky – there is but the layer of tile and a layer of 1/4″ hardboard underneath it (and some grotty rosin paper at the bottom that I’ve yet to scrape up).
I don’t yet know if the floor can be saved. So far, although it looks like crap, it’s no worse than my dining room and living room floors after I pulled up the many layers atop them. But there may, of course, be major problems yet to be exposed. At least I’ve a good idea of how much work the rest of the floor demo will be; a lot less than I expected, really (though I’d cheerfully wring the neck of the fool who used 3/4″ staples every 3″ or so to tack down the hardboard).
Time to get cracking on the cabinets. I can’t finish the floor until the old ones are out, and I can’t pull the old ones until the new ones are built and ready to install…immediately after I finish the floor. Catch-22 remodeling at its finest.