I’m exhausted, but there’s still a few hours to go until the “Downton Abbey” finale; I had to do something to stay awake. So I decided to fix some floorboard problems.
At some point in the distant past, presumably for electric work, someone made a bunch of crap cuts in the second-floor hall floorboards. There were four that had no support at one end, because the horizontal cuts made to pull out short sections are well shy of (or well beyond, depending on your POV) the joist. I guess “16″ on center” was just too difficult to remember?
I’ve been stepping around those soft spots for almost 10 months now. But I also had to pull floorboards for electric, so before I nail the boards back in place, I fixed the squishy bits.
A trip to my (obscenely large) trash pile out back yielded an old 2×4 (with some really tight grain, as it turns out) off which I chopped some 1-1/2″-long chunks. After drilling clearance holes in the chunks for 3″ screws (yes, they’re Phillips head; sue me), I clamped each little piece flush at the top of the requisite joist, and screwed them in place.
Now, I have something to which I can nail the floorboards…just as soon as I order some proper cut nails for flooring.
In the meantime, with all the floorboards properly supported, I can quit hopscotching from my bedroom down the hall to the bathroom.
Wish I had those nails, though; there’s still two hours before “Downton Abbey.”
* Yes, I know I should have cut lengths off the 2×4 and screwed face grain to face grain. But then I’d have to rip it, too, because 4″ (and it really is 4″ wide) wouldn’t fit because of the wiring . So we’ll see if it holds. I suspect it will be months before I get around to nailing those floorboards down; plenty of time for a test.