In the last week (and over the long weekend), I’ve painted two ceilings, the walls in the hallway, replaced the screen in one of the front screen doors and painted the porch – well, most of it, anyway – after spending $75 in paint samples. I’m still not convinced the light gray is the right light gray, but I gave up. (And I’m still searching for the right, bright accent color, which will be used sparingly.)
I borrowed an extension ladder with big plans to get the porch interior bits, as well as the porch soffits, fascia and trim, done over three days. Ha! Dentil moulding is the devil’s minion, and Ionic column capitals are the devil himself. (Here’s hoping my neighbor will kindly allow me keep his ladder through a few more weekends….)
I did make an exciting* discovery, though: While prepping to paint, I had to scrape and scrub the stone sill. Turns out, the dirt removal allowed me to see where the original side casings were on either end for the sidelights and door.
Friday afternoon, John and Judy Pater, of Pater Architectural, visited to talk historically sympathetic windows. I don’t yet have the price for those, but John has some clever tricks – along with top-notch machinery and decades of experience – that allow him to make wooden windows at a price comparable to top-name “modern” replacement windows. But his will last a great deal longer (if properly maintained, which I will do) – and they will look incalculably better.
Oh – and after weeks of fretting about the “right” shingles, I ordered a new roof (and yes Christopher, I actually went with the lighter ones). The tear-off begins Thursday, weather permitting.
The upper-story windows and all the wooden bits at the roof line will also need painting of course – but neither the ladder nor my courage extend that far; I’ll have to hire professional help. So, I suspect the house will remain piebald for a while. Apologies to my neighbors.
*I have a low excitement threshold when it comes to house stuff.